Dr. Oz met a holistic doctor, Dr. Mark Hyman (Author of the 10-Day Detox Diet Book). He was talking about a diet that he had developed called the 10 Day Detox Diet. It involves a way of learning how to eat in order to lose weight and enjoy better health.
Breakfast: Dr. Hyman’s Whole Food Protein Shake
This Shake will power you through the hardest and longest of days. It is 100% whole, fresh, real food, with a spotlight on healthy fats potent antioxidants from the blueberries.
- 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen cranberries
- 1/4 lemon with rind (optional)
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 walnuts
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin coconut butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
Combine all of the ingredients in ablender. Blend on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. If the shake is too thick, add more water until you reach a thick but drinkable consistency. Makes one shake.
Lunch: Dr. Hyman’s Super Salad Bar
- Choose a green base: argula, spinach or mixed salad greens.
Choose three vegetables: red, green or orange bellpepper, celery, mushroom, snap peas, jicama, carrots, radish, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, onion, roasted peppers, artichoke hearts, parsley, dill, cilantro, mint.
- Choose one healthy fat: 1/4 avocado, 2 tablespoons nuts or seeds ( walnuts, almons, pumpkin or sunflower seeds), 2 tablespoons olives (kalamata)
- Choose one serving protein (4 onces): Salmon, sardines or shrimp (wild fresh or canned), diced chicken or turkey, cubed tofu or tempeh.
- Choose your dressing: 2 tablespoons tahini with lemon juice, 1 table spoon olive oil with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
Dinner: Nourishing Entrees with Aromatic Greens
- Choose a green base: Broccoli, asparagus, spinach, kale or chard. Steam or lightly saute with some garlic and oil.
- Add 4-6 ounces of protein (choose from below)
Chicken, turkey, Salmon,shrimp, scallops, grass-fed meat, canned salmon, sardiness or herring, hard boiled omega-3 eggs, tofu or tempeh.
Snacks: Quick creamy or Nutty Snacks
- Choose either: Creamy tahini, hummus or tapenade with sliced raw veggies of choice (see salad bar options for ideas)
- Or: 1/4 cup mixed nuts (raw if possible) like almonds or walnuts.
The 10-Day Detox Diet Meal Plan Allowances
Unlimited non-starchy vegetables allowed:
Arugula, artichoke, mushrooms, swiss chard, asparagus, dandelion greens, mustard greens, tomatoes, bean sprouts, eggplant, onions, turnip greens, endive, parsley, watercress, bell peppers (yellow, red or green), fennel, radishes, celery, broccoli, garlic, radicchio, chives brussels sprouts, ginger of palm, shallots, kale, summer squash, zucchini, spinach and lettuce.
Approved to cook and season meals with:
Coconut oil, olive oil, nut butters, buts and seeds (hemp, chia, flax, pumpkin and sesame), coconut milk, unsweetened almons milk, balsamic vinegar and apple cider vinegar, low-sodium vegetable broth, dijon mustard, sea salt and black pepper, tumeric, cayenne, thyme, rosemary, chili powder, cumin, sage, oregano, onion powder, cinnamon, coriander, cilantro, paprika and parsley